What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Create a dynamic regular expression for date threshold

Votes:

Hi Community,

I got several PaloAlto firewalls to monitor. The dynamic updates for Threats, Apps, Antivirus etc. are critical, so I want to create a alarm, which is fired, as soon as the update-content exceeds a time threshold, let's say more than two days.

With the PaloAlto MIBs I can monitor the date values in this format: "2018/05/04 21:03:57". Of course I could create an alarm trigger with a regular expression, but if I want the alarm fired by exceeding two days - this regular expressions needs to be updated every day to increase the date.

Is there a way to address this issue?

Best Regards Chacko

date paloalto prtg threshold

Created on May 7, 2018 7:51:16 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Chacko,

I don't see a way how to do this with default functionalities in PRTG. What might work is a script of your own that pulls the string from the OID, converts it accordingly and calculates the difference between today/now and the "timestamp string" from the OID and only reports "Ok" or "Error" back to the script sensor, depending on whether or not the last update is older than two days.

I have no "script template" though for this scenario that I could provide.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 7, 2018 11:45:01 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

thanks for your reply. I'm unfamiliar with PRTG - is there a guide to create such a templates?

I'm just wondering that there is no out-of-the-box solution, PaloAlto is a big player on the market and I guess PRTG is in used at big companies, too.

Does PRTG provide such monitoring modules by feature requests or do the costumers need to pay for these?

Best Regards Chacko

Created on May 7, 2018 11:50:22 AM

Votes:

Hi Chacko,

Yes, Palo Alto is a big player, though we don't get that many requests for "native sensors" in PRTG. Palo Alto's MIBs are usually pretty good and can be used to create sensors in PRTG, so most users go with that and the standard SNMP sensors for traffic and alike plus using NetFlow as well. For this particular case which can be broken down to "Grab a string from an OID , treat is as date/time and compare it to current timestamp" we indeed don't have a solution, for no vendor.

What I actually meant was that I don't have a script that you could use as a baseline to start with. In the end you need to create a script that pulls the string containing this date/time from last update convert it to be actually treated as such and compare it to the current date/time and use an EXE/Script Sensor to execute it and report only back "Ok" or "Error - Definitions outdated" to show in the sensor for example.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 7, 2018 12:51:42 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 7, 2018 12:56:52 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.