What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Timezone used for notification emails

Votes:

We are currently using version 17.4.33.3251 and unfortunately are unable to progress further than that currently due to customization. My question is based around the time reflected in the notification emails. My understanding was that the timezone was reflective of the user that created the notification. It appears that is no longer the case in our current version and notification emails are being sent with the server timezone instead of correcting for user timezone of the notification creator.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it without changing versions?

Thanks, Matt

notification prtg timezone

Created on May 9, 2018 3:43:20 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Matt, we appreciate your contact.

What you just described is the expected behavior, and it has been like this for as far as I can remember. Notifications are sent in the actual timezone of the Core Server. Most of the time, when the users and the server are on the same timezone, this isn't a problem. Other customers chose to place the whole infrastructure in UTC to avoid this sort of issue completely..

The reason for this is that we don't always have a user context in a notification. Notifications are built around the idea that you can notify E-mail Addresses (or mail distribution lists) that are not necessarily a PRTG user, so we don't hold any associated timezone information. Because of that, the time in E-mails is always based on the Core Server's timezone.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 10, 2018 10:43:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.