What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Customise default channel settings for a sensor

Votes:

I would like to achieve either one of three things (in order of preference)

1. Change the default settings for the WMI Free Disk Space so whenever we add a new device and use the "Automatic Device Identification" the channel settings of the sensor is configured to our specifications.
  2. Select all WMI Free Disk Space Sensors and modify the channel settings to our specifications.
  3. Create a new(customised) sensor which i can manually add to one or many devices.

I find the % check on a disk pointless, having 5% free space of a 40gb is less serious when you have a 4TB disk. whereas setting an actual value in GB makes sense. so i want to remove/hide all the % channels and "Enable alerting based on limits" with my own specifications.

many thanks, JV

channel custom-sensor wmi-free-disk-sensor

Created on May 11, 2018 9:01:10 AM

Last change on May 11, 2018 10:48:32 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello JV,

1 & 3 can be achieved using device templates.

As for editing existing sensors, multi-edit can be useful, at least you can disable/adjust those "global" limits from "Settings" tab. When it comes to applying multi-edit on channels, the dialogue will only list channels the selected channels have in common. For example you have 10 disk space sensors selected, but not all of them share the same amount of drives, the channel editing dialogue will only present you the drive letter all the selected sensors have in common, so you might only see the channels for "C:" for bulk-editing.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 11, 2018 10:52:49 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

when i create a template. it loses the customised settings i've configured within the channel (hiding the % and setting the limits)

When i use multi edit, it only allows me to specify the % not the MB

Thanks, JV

Created on May 11, 2018 12:02:52 PM

Votes:

Ah, yes, you are right regarding the termplate. This particular sensor uses a so-called meta scan to determine the amount of drives it needs to create channels for, therefor channel related settings are not saved in this case I'm afraid. When you mentioned that you've disabled certain channels in tables etc., you might want to consider the SNMP Disk sensor for example as it will create a dedicated sensor for each drive.

Regarding the bulk-editing of limits, this should work, tab "Channels" of the multi-edit dialogue will list shared channels and when there's "Free Space C:" there has to be also "Free Bytes C:" as well for example. If this does not work for you, I will contact you then by email requesting further details like screenshots etc. to see what and how you do it. Or you can end us an email to [email protected] regarding the issue with screenshots.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 11, 2018 2:01:00 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.