What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI stopped working (Windows 10) after update on some machines

Votes:

First of all I'm a very happy user of the PRTG Monitor software for many years. I've had my share of challenges, but so far have always been able to find a solution. However my current problem has got me completely stumped.

I'm using PRTG Server (latest version) on a dedicated Windows 10 machine, not part of a domain or workgroup. This server has 1 local probe, which monitors 3 other Windows machines (one 7, two 10) and some linux boxes. I have set up everything according to the helpful manuals (getting wmi to work in a non-domain environment was tricky) and everything has been working without real problems for many years.

Now a few days ago, after an update of Windows 10 of one the client machines, the WMI sensors no longer work for that machine, and I cannot figure out why (I've spent already several days troubleshooting). It seems the connection is just timing out (as 'check now' on a sensor does not give any update for quite a while)

I can see it's due to the windows update, as the wmi sensors stop recording around the time of the update, and the error i get now is 'cannot establish connection'. Interesting to note is that the WMI sensors of another windows 10 machine (also updated) are working fine. (Not necessarily related, but also the SNMP sensors stopped working. I found out that the update had reset the IP addresses SNMP was accepting requests from to 'localhost' and this removing the PRTG server IP)

Things I tried (in addition to going over and checking every step of the manual and kb) - retype the windows credentials in PTRG for this machine - disable any kind of firewall on the client machine - repair/rebuild the WMI installation - run wbemtest with the admin user specified in PTRG -> works fine, no problems - tried PTRG WMI Tester with the admin user specified in PTRG -> works fine, no problems

Does anyone have an idea how I can troubleshoot this issue further?

Thank you very much in advance.

prtg timeout wmi

Created on May 14, 2018 1:53:15 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi Wim,

Since we need additional logs anyway to troubleshoot this further, I'll send you an email with instructions.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 14, 2018 4:18:06 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry for this "Edit" but I seem to be unable to edit the original question ("Something went wrong")

Some additional info, running the following command on the PRTG server works perfectly (replacing machine, user and pwd with the ones defined in PRTG windows credentials for that machine)

WMIC /node:machine /user:user /password:pwd computersystem get totalphysicalmemory

Created on May 14, 2018 9:22:27 PM

Votes:

Hello Wim,

I've received the logs and get back to you after reviewing them.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 15, 2018 9:24:51 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am having this same issue with WMI based monitors. I have checked and the probes worked before the update and not after. I have ruled out credential issues, windows firewall, 3rd party firewalls.

I am on version 18.3.42.1711

Was there an answer to this issue?

Created on Jul 21, 2018 2:17:08 AM

Votes:

Hello Jon,

Are the machines part of a domain? If not, we've found out that there might be an issue with Windows 10 hosts when not located in a domain after the updates from April were installed. Is that the case here (Windows 10 machines not being inside a domain)?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 23, 2018 12:57:59 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Windows 10 with PRTG services (and probe) just auto-updated to 1803 (April Update).

All Windows 10 machines not in a domain just times out with error "The could not be established (PE015)". Computers in domains and Windows 7 computers are still working.

Please help!

Created on Aug 10, 2018 4:32:17 PM

Votes:

Hello Moskus,

So far we hab two or three cases like these, but do not know what causes this exactly. What we know is that it works when entering the admin user directly into the probe service so that the service is run by this user instead of "Local System".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 13, 2018 7:56:51 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I submitted a ticket for something similar two days ago. Several WMI sensors of our recently updated servers are no longer working, despite the WMI Checker tool successfully querying information from the device.

Created on May 15, 2020 11:12:58 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.