What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP CPU Load Sensor for Windows Server 2012 VMs

Votes:

I have been working with this for the past few days. I have read many posts of sysadmins getting CPU Load SNMP sensors to work great with PRTG, but I haven't been able to get it to work properly yet. Any OIDs, MIBs, prebuilt sensors I can use?

cpu snmp vm windows-server

Created on May 17, 2018 4:47:33 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello jcarlson,

Thank you very much for your contact. I am pretty sure that we will manage this.

To monitor a Windows client via SNMP you need to enable it first. Please follow our blog article "How to Enable SNMP on our Operating System" to set-up SNMP.

Afterwards, it is also necessary to configure the incoming SNMP communication for PRTG's point of view properly. To do so, please open the Settings tab of the device that should has the SNMP sensors later on and configure the corresponding settings at CREDENTIALS FOR SNMP DEVICES. Please see this manual page for further information.

Then, you should be able to add SNMP based sensors to this device. I'd recommend to start with a simple SNMP System Uptime sensor to check if SNMP is up and running. If the uptime sensor starts to read the uptime properly, you're good to go and free to continue with the requests SNMP Memory sensor.

If you encounter any further issues regarding non working SNMP sensor, please find further information here:
My SNMP sensors don’t work. What can I do?.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 18, 2018 12:04:31 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 18, 2018 12:05:38 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply Sebastian. I failed to point out that I have SNMP successfully working. I have an SNMP Disk Free sensor working OK. I just can't figure out the correct values for CPU Load. Is there a universal OID for CPU Load on VMWare Server 2012? Not sure how specific OIDs get.

Thank you!

Created on May 18, 2018 3:05:17 PM

Votes:

Hello jcarlson,

Please allow us to review the SNMP results provided by your device, for this we'll need you to download our latest SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform a Walk against the following OID:

Kindly configure the Device's IP/Port and SNMP Credentials accordingly. Please post the results from the Tester afterwards.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 21, 2018 10:40:35 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.