What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding Sensors "locks up"

Votes:

When I'm trying to add a sensor to a device, it keeps hanging with "Preparing sensor settings..." and never moves on after hours of it trying to load. This is happening to multiple sensors across multiple devices. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

prtg sensors wmi

Created on May 21, 2018 8:02:14 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In addition to WMI prerequisites, are you using an account within the device that is an administrator on the target host?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 22, 2018 6:52:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

What particular sensors are you trying to add here?

Kind regards,

Created on May 22, 2018 6:47:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 22, 2018 6:47:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm trying to add the "Windows IIS Application" and "WMI Service" sensors. Both get stuck when trying to load up.

Created on May 22, 2018 4:19:03 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In addition to WMI prerequisites, are you using an account within the device that is an administrator on the target host?

Kind regards,

Created on May 22, 2018 6:52:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know I've seen this before but I'm having trouble finding the account that uses it. Where in the settings can I find the account that uses the sensors?

Created on May 22, 2018 7:37:28 PM

Votes:

It's in the device' settings, in the Credentials For Windows Systems settings :)

Kind regards,

Created on May 22, 2018 8:12:51 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There it is. Yes, it seems to be a permissions issue with the account we're using. I've modified the permissions and it seems to have fixed it. Thank you.

Created on May 22, 2018 9:58:14 PM

Votes:

Nice, glad it works now! :)

Kind regards,

Created on May 23, 2018 9:10:19 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 23, 2018 9:10:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.