What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor VHD/VHDX Health

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to know if we can use PRTG to monitor VHD and VHDX disk health. Like checking that the virtual disk does not have disk errors etc.

Thanks

disk hyper-v vhd

Created on May 22, 2018 10:20:07 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

I don't really get what you want to monitor. I mean, virtual disks cannot have faulty sectors, or any physical issue whatsoever as long as the host disk is healthy. Do you mean the integrity of the VHD file itself or the integrity of the filesystem contained in the VHD ?

For the first case, I'd simply monitor the host disk. For the second, you could probably use a script sensor that executes a disk-checking program on the remote machine (chkdsk/fsck) and monitors the return value.

Created on May 22, 2018 2:11:04 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Yes wanted to check the sectors and problems inside a VHD file. We recently had a problem where a VDH file had bad sectors and in the end completely screwed the VM which was needed to be restore.

Physical disks have reported OK on the host.

Just need to know if this possible to check/monitor VHD files.

Thanks Andy

Created on May 22, 2018 2:22:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.