What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware product monitoring

Votes:

Hello!

We need to monitor

1. VMware NSX vrouter IPSEC VPN connections status.
  2. VMware Vcloud Director
  3. VMware Vcenter Can you advise best practise way how to do it with your system?

ipsec prtg vmware

Created on May 23, 2018 8:15:43 AM

Last change on May 23, 2018 8:40:30 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

We can't monitor the first two, i.e. have no experience with it, but the latter is rather easy. Simply create a device resembling your vCenter server and add the VMWare Virtual Machine Sensor to it. Within the metascan results, you can choose from the various VMs. Note that there are other sensors for VMware as well, with their own corresponding remarks.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 23, 2018 1:01:25 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I have the same requirement, is there anything new?

Created on Oct 24, 2019 4:48:04 PM

Votes:

Hi Ruben,

Unfortunately not, at least in regards to the first two. The last one still applies.

Created on Oct 25, 2019 7:55:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan -

We have the same requirement, any progress made on this front? Several PRTG competitors have added native API support for NSX-t, just wondering if this is on the path to be added as well and if there is a timeline availalbe.

Created on May 20, 2022 1:19:08 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your responses.

I understand the convenience of a native sensors, that you can simply search, select and create and from a Support perspective I would also love to see that. Unfortunately, native sensor deployment is based on very strict metrics, demands and prioritization, so sometimes it takes longer to have a corresponding sensor in PRTG. Sometimes, it will never be part of PRTG.

But as the VMware NSX Data Center provides an API, I'm wondering if you ever checked out our native REST Custom v2 Sensor (PRTG Manual)? This is a very powerful sensor because it is able to query an API endpoint and maps the JSON or XML result to sensor values. So you can basically create a sensor that exactly matches your requirements.
Creating the sensor is no rocket science and my colleague Souzana created a video for it. You can watch it here:
Video: REST Custom v2 Sensor

The only challenge is to find the right API endpoint and query but if you manage to provide the data, the rest should work like a charm.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on May 24, 2022 10:24:15 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.