What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Syslog messages table

Votes:

Hi everyone

I'm running version 18.2.40.1683+ on Stable channel using windows.

I want to customise the syslog sensor, messages screen to exclude certain coloumns and to customise the remaining coloumns width. I don't want "proc id", "app name" and "msg id" for example.

The new layout wastes almost half my screen width so I would like to better utilise my desktop space. I've searched around but can not find anything conclusive as to which css file to edit where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, the new interface looks great.

Cheers Marcel

coloumns custom messages syslog table

Created on May 24, 2018 9:04:13 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your inquiry, we appreciate your contact regarding this matter. I unpublished the last two answers cause they are not really related to your inquiry.

This is not possible by default, but you can edit the "styles_custom_v2.css" to make changes in the interface. Please note this is not officially supported and can cause issues in future updates. The default path to this file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\css".

Please add the following lines to edit the table in the messages tab:

.form-udpmessage .messagetable .col-msgid,
.form-udpmessage .messagetable .col-procid,
.form-udpmessage .messagetable .col-name {display: none !important;}

.form-udpmessage .messagetable .col-message {width: 38.09522% !important

For any further questions or issues, we're glad to help.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on May 28, 2018 7:42:05 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 28, 2018 8:35:29 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Birk

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I'll give this a try later today and let you know.

Out of curiosity, is this something Paessler would be looking into as a future feature (ability to customise columns and layout)? Would be very useful.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards Marcel.

Created on May 28, 2018 7:56:20 AM

Votes:

Hi Marcel,

We are always trying to improve different parts in PRTG. I'm not sure if this will be implemented, since there are some other things higher rated in the pipeline, too.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on May 28, 2018 8:40:27 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Birk

Thanks for the info, it worked like a charm. I even used your info as a template to make changes to other tables, now that I know what to look for.

Thanks and regards Marcel.

Created on May 28, 2018 12:44:33 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.