What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory credentials being cached and not timing out

Votes:

My AD password has been changed and the password is not being recognised. I can still login using the OLD password howvever.

Per the Active Directory Integration guide here this is expected as PRTG server caches AD creds for an hour.

I've manually cleared the cache on the server under Setup > System Administration > Administrative Tools > Clear Caches and yet only the old password is accepted.

I've additionally waited for the hour timeout to take place and this has also made no difference

My PRTG version is 18.2.39.1661+

Is there a way to manually clear these cached entries other than the GUI method above?

regards Tom

active-directory cache password

Created on May 25, 2018 3:37:57 PM

Last change on May 28, 2018 5:00:43 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The ultimate test to check where the issue may lie is to restart the "PRTG Core Service" in the Core Server. Does the old password still work after the restart?

Best regards.

Created on May 28, 2018 12:47:18 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz

Good shout but unfortunately restarting the PRTG Core Service did not change anything. Same password still in effect post restart of the service.

regards Tom

Created on May 30, 2018 9:53:11 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you post a screenshot of the user account from within PRTG (Setup > System Administration > User Accounts > The affected User)? When you post it, I will take a look at the screenshot and will remove the URL before I publish your answer.

Best regards.

Created on May 30, 2018 10:23:38 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the offer Dariusz

I've since upgraded this evening to version 18.2.41.1652+ and since then the new creds are working. Not sure if linked to the upgrade or merely the restarting of services (again) but my new AD creds are now working.

Not a solution as such but posting here so others finding similar isse can perhaps try an upgrade or a 2nd restart of services.

regards Tom

Created on Jul 9, 2018 6:23:13 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.