What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Pause notifications during off hours

Votes:

We would like to bring down the amount of notifications (emails in our case) as people are setting up outlook rules because we receive too many emails from PRTG. Lots of them are unnecessary. Most of the time, out provider is carrying out maintenance work during the night. We would like to keep monitoring the lines during the night but dont receive notifications during that time. I know you are already jumping up the wagon and telling me i can pause notifications and i have played around with all the options. But non of the settings give us what we want. Here are the several options with their disadvantages:

Pause monitoring
- We dont have any monitoring data during night time
- if a device is offline for 2 days, we get the failed emails when the outage occurs, paused emails at the beginning of the maintenance time and another failed email when the sensor gets back to monitoring the next morning

Pause notifications (collect)
- We get all the emails that we would've received from the night, in the morning. So the number of mails is not reduced

Pause nototifications (discard)
- If a device fails during maintenance time (03:00 AM) and does not come online until maintenance is over, we dont see any notification at all.

So what would be best if we could have a 3rd postpone option along the other 2 like:

Discard notifications during paused status Collect notifications and send them when reactivated Discard notifications during paused status but send open alerts when reactivated

Is something like this possible today?

Thanks and best regards,
Mario

notifications pause schedule

Created on May 28, 2018 7:02:53 AM

Last change on May 28, 2018 10:38:00 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Mario,

Thanks for your inquiry, we appreciate your contact regarding this matter!

You have summarized the possibilities very well here. You have to find out for yourself which one suits you. In case of maintenance work, we recommend to pause the sensors for the period of time to prevent incorrect notifications. You can also bring down the amount of notification, if you set a higher timer in the trigger settings (E.g.: When sensor state is for at least [600] seconds perform [notification])

Let me explain one scenario that could work for you:
- two different notifications: One with schedule for working times and one for none working times
- two triggers with those notifications: The one with working times is triggered after 300 seconds and the one out of working time after 7200 seconds (2h). So a notification will only be sent, if the maintenance lasts longer then 2 hours

This is just an example, how you could work with this. For any further questions or issues, we're glad to help.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on May 28, 2018 10:49:08 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.