What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add remote probe twice

Votes:

Hi all...

I have the requirement to monitor two different groups of customer systems with a single remote probe. That's not really a problem because I can use different groups. But the whole thing should be displayed in a map, for which I use the icon "Sizeable Icon on Staus Related Background" at the level of the reote probe. That would show me too many systems, because it shows everything from every group that is configured for this remote probe. Now there are two approaches: Either there is any way to exclude a group when using this status icon or I can add add the remote probe twice with the desired groups of systems. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution for both. Any suggestion?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards, Chris

map prtg remote-probe

Created on Jun 5, 2018 7:01:02 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your inquiry, we appreciate your contact regarding this matter!

Excluding a specific object is not possible here, but you can add those groups one by one. Pull the corresponding objects from the left side to the map. After that choose "Sizable Icon on Staus Related Background" and pull it on the just created map objects.

Please let me know, if that fits your requirements.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 5, 2018 11:27:49 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Birk,

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

There are several groups like "Network", "Virtualization Hosts", "Firewalls", and "Windows Servers". We have two from the last group: "Windows Servers operated by customer" and "Windows Servers Operated by us". The "Windows Servers operated by customer" are not relevant to us. Alarms are directly sent to the customer and he takes care of the problems. All other groups are relevant to us.

As we want to keep the information on the big screen on the wall as simple as possible we have added all our customers with only one "Sizeable Icon on Staus Related Background" on the Remote Probe level. So we see at a glance if there are any problems. Currently we see those problems of the Windows servers operated by the customer too, but we don't want to see them. Do you understand what I mean?

Best regards, Chris

Created on Jun 5, 2018 11:45:02 AM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying this. I think the easiest way to achieve this, is to add an additional group to the device tree, with the objects for the map included.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 5, 2018 12:43:09 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.