What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Update Sensor only returns errors PE233 and PE231 for some sensory

Votes:

We have a number of Windows update sensors and two have been misbehaving a little while, but only recently started giving a "useful" error message saying the following: XML: The returned XML does not match the expected schema. (code: PE233) -- JSON: The returned JSON does not match the expected structure (Invalid JSON.). (code: PE231) I am slightly at a loss as to why some are working and two are now. I have checked firewall and other settings between the working and non working machines, but haven't managed to find any differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pe231 pe233 windows-update-status

Created on Jun 8, 2018 2:00:56 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello Phil,

Which OS is the target machine you're trying to monitor?

Which version of PRTG do you have installed?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 8, 2018 11:02:24 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

the machines we are trying to monitor the updates on are Windows Server 2012R2 and our PRTG installation is 18.2.40.1683.

Cheers, Phil

Created on Jun 11, 2018 8:10:11 AM

Votes:

Hello Phil,

Please check if the .NET version (4.5, 4.6, 4.7) with latest update is installed on the corresponding Probe Server.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 12, 2018 6:18:51 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Phil,

Did you ever managed to get this working and if so would you like to share the solution with other people so they can benefit from it ?

Regards,

Rene.

Created on Aug 17, 2018 2:22:41 PM

Votes:

Hi Rene,

Please let us know where you are getting stuck here. Are you running the current PRTG version? Which.NET framework is installed on your system?

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 20, 2018 12:48:37 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi guys,

I'm afraid we never managed to resolve this on the original server. However, it ended up function after we moved it to a new server. My best guess is that there might have been some issue and discrepancy between Windows Update Statuses between the server and the monitored devices.

Cheers, Phil

Created on Aug 28, 2018 9:47:16 AM

Votes:

Hi, I have the same problem but with server 2016. I have .NET Frameworks install.

Created on Dec 5, 2018 5:56:35 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

First of all, please check if all current .Net updates are installed on the corresponding Probe and the target device. Sometimes it helps to trigger the update process manually. Please also provide us with the following information:

• What PRTG version are you running?
  • What exact error message is displayed here?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 6, 2018 4:48:00 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same problem. Running 18.4.46.1754+ Probe running on Windows 7 machine with latest .net 4.7.2, can't get it's own Windows Update Status: XML: Das zurückgelieferte XML entspricht nicht dem erwarteten Schema. (Code: PE233) -- JSON: Das zurückgelieferte JSON entspricht nicht der erwarteten Struktur (No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page). (Code: PE231) But can't get the Windows Update Status from a Windows Server 2012 with latest .net 4.7.2 either.

Created on Dec 9, 2018 11:28:25 PM

Votes:

Update: Our Powershell version was too old, update fixed the issue.

Created on Dec 10, 2018 9:03:57 AM

Votes:

I have the same problem on windows server 2008

Created on Nov 12, 2020 7:58:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.