What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem Reading Description of the interface

Votes:

Hello There, I've added several cisco switches in my PRTG and the I customized the SNMP COMPATIBILITY OPTION to be able to have access to the description of my interfaces on each sensor as well , i changed the default setting to : [ifdescr] _ [ifalias] ([port]) , and then i changed the Port Name Update to Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device as well. but i faced with some problems , i auto discovered my device and every up/up interfaces have been detected but i have seen that in some cases some interfaces do not change after an admin change occur , then i have to auto discover the device once more and the interface with the correct description will appear, it's a very critical issue for us cause i cannot change the interface name anymore in the first step and if i add it once i gate i lose the historic data.

description sensor snmp-compatibility

Created on Jun 9, 2018 4:53:08 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

As far as I understood, you changed the compatibility settings and added all available (Up) interfaces to PRTG. But, when you change the name of a sensor, then PRTG is not picking the new name up and does not display the new name in the sensor name, is that correct? If not, then please explain it a little bit more extensive what you expect to happen and what actually happens.

Best regards.

Created on Jun 11, 2018 11:39:41 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.