What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG sensor alarm based on value in some time range

Votes:

Hello.

My sensor count switch dropped packets. I would like to set alarm basen on dropped packets count in some time period. For example. If switch will drop 100 packets during one hour it is not error, but if 100 packets will drop in one minute it is error.

Is any way to realize this alarm?

Sebastian Wasilewski

alarms network prtg

Created on Jun 13, 2018 6:55:42 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Sebastian,

depending on the sensor channel unit type, you can add a speed trigger in order to alert when a given bandwidth is reached. Please open this manual page and scroll to Add Speed Trigger.

Created on Jun 13, 2018 1:27:19 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately I cannot add Speed Triger. Only State, Threshold and Change triggers are available.

It is Custom SNMP sensor.

Created on Jun 13, 2018 1:41:29 PM

Votes:

Dear Sebastian,

in this case, you cannot alert on bandwidth. You could try to re-create the sensor and select the "Delta (Counter)" option. This yields a bandwidth unit.

Created on Jun 13, 2018 2:41:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.