What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IOPS on Esxi

Votes:

Hi, I would like to monitor on esxi datastore (on logical drive, not on a specific virtual machine) IOPS READS /s, WRITES /s, MBREAD /s and MBWRTN /s given by command esxtop option U but I can't obtain that on predefined sensors. Is someone have an idea how to do that lightly? Thanks a lot.

datastore esxi prtg sensor

Created on Jun 13, 2018 12:05:33 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Look at 'VMware Host Performance (SOAP)' sensor. It has some interesting channels including 'Disk write' and 'Disk read'.

Created on Jun 14, 2018 5:59:56 AM

Votes:

Yes, thank you but it's not that I want, I want to collect the number of reads and writes, not the volume of data.

Created on Jun 14, 2018 7:54:45 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

The VMWare Datastore Sensor already gathers as much information as possible. Unfortunately, PRTG can only monitor what the device or interface on the end offers. When the SOAP interface of VMware does not offer these metrics, then it is hard (if not impossible) to monitor them.

I am afraid that there is currently no workaround for this and to gather the desired information.

Best regards.

Created on Jun 14, 2018 10:32:42 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Dariusz,

there are serverall values the VMWare vcenter shows in detail - which PRTG is not able to read out. f.e. the write IO ratio - could you check if you are planning to add these to the sensor or if we need to program it by our own

Thank you

Created on Jun 17, 2019 1:14:10 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please note that we use the SOAP Interface to retrieve the data, is the data you want to monitor offered there as well?

Right now there are no plans to further develop or improve the VMware Sensors.

Best regards.

Created on Jun 17, 2019 1:59:36 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.