What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMPv3 Problem Error #16

Votes:

So I'm trying to set up the SNMP sensors on one of my HP switches, however, they go down instantly even with the proper credentials. So I used the PRTG SNMP tester and checked to see if the authentication works (which it does), but then it fails and produces an error.

These were the results after a device uptime scan.

DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Authorization Error (SNMP error # 16) ( 0 seconds ) SNMP Datatype: ASN_PRIMITIVE HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSystemUptime.0 = Authorization Error (SNMP error # 16) ( 0 seconds )

These were the results after an interlace scan Result: #N16

error-messages prtg snmp snmp-tester

Created on Jun 13, 2018 5:55:51 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear TechNoLogic,

the error code is returned by the device. PRTG uses the standard output for those errors. Please check with the HP documentation which conditions could lead to that error. As SNMP configurations can become quite complex, especially with v3 group management and user names, we cannot provide more details as the error code is quite generic.

Created on Jun 14, 2018 5:25:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear TechNoLogic,

please clarify in which way you see that the authentication works (because the error message followed mentions an authentication error, usually caused by a wrongly configured encryption, user/name combination or in some cases, special characters used in the credentials.)

Created on Jun 14, 2018 1:06:07 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just to make sure I was using the proper credentials before, I started a new SNMP test but modified the username, password, context, and encryption with incorrect values to see if it would produce their respective errors (ie. Unknown user, incorrect password, decryption error, etc.). So I knew my credentials weren't wrong otherwise it would've been an authentication error instead of an authorization error.

What I would like to know is what SNMP error #16 is exactly is. Is the only cause of this error a credentials/encryption issue or is there another symptom that could produce this error?

Edit: I figured out my error, but thanks though!

Created on Jun 14, 2018 2:02:44 PM

Last change on Jun 14, 2018 6:25:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear TechNoLogic,

the error code is returned by the device. PRTG uses the standard output for those errors. Please check with the HP documentation which conditions could lead to that error. As SNMP configurations can become quite complex, especially with v3 group management and user names, we cannot provide more details as the error code is quite generic.

Created on Jun 14, 2018 5:25:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.