What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Pausing a sensor triggers notifications

Votes:

Hi, while a sensor is paused it doesn't send notifications, which is a good thing. However, when I pause a sensor that is already down, at that moment the sensor will send a "Down ended (now: Paused)" notification, and when the sensor is resumed it will send a "Down" notification (if the sensor is still down).

How do I prevent these notifications from being sent? For me, the expected behavior would be that pausing a sensor itself does not trigger notifications.

down notifications pause

Created on Jun 20, 2018 12:44:21 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Didier,

This is when in the notification trigger "When condition clears after a notification was triggered perform xyz" is configured.

This option is often misunderstood, what it basically means is that it will act on any state that is different than the state the trigger originally acted on. So in this case the trigger got activated as the sensor went "down". Switching it to "pause" is a different state, it's no longer down, so this triggers the "When condition clears....." portion of the notification trigger.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jun 21, 2018 11:57:34 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard, thank you for your answer, but this knowledge didn't really help me solve my problem. I really need the "When condition clears..." notification for when a sensor comes UP again after going DOWN, so I can't delete that. Also, I still will get the renewed sensor DOWN notifiication when the pause ends. The reason why I want to pause a sensor is ususally when some unplanned maintenance activity is needed on a server, so working with a maintenance schedule is not really an option. Could you advise what would be my best option for halting notifications, not on a schedule, without triggering additional notifications like pausing does? Best regards, Didier

Created on Jun 22, 2018 6:26:36 AM

Votes:

Hello Didier,

I understand, but this is not how the trigger works I'm afraid. We recently addressed this to product management for consideration if this can be changed so that "When condition clears...." only acts on "Up", but so far no decision has been made. Alternatively you can set the status to "Down Acknowledged", this won't trigger "When condition clears.....".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jun 22, 2018 7:35:43 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 22, 2018 7:36:42 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard, I have looked a bit at using the "Down Acknowledged" status, I believe this may work for me. I hope your management decides to implement that change proposal you have made, that would be better still. Thank you for the information, this has answered my question. Best regards, Didier

Created on Jun 22, 2018 8:44:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.