What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Restart Server on Trigger

Votes:

Morning, I have an issue with one of my Ubuntu servers, PRTG triggers an alert when the service I am monitoring fails, I am curious if when that happens can PRTG trigger a command to restart the server? And potentially even then email me it has restarted the server? Cheers.

prtg restart ubuntu

Created on Jun 23, 2018 2:28:39 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear daven1985,

PRTG has no build-in function to restart that server. We develop PRTG so that one cannot easily perform actions on the computer as this can be a security risk. But you could do this:

• Add a notification which runs a program
  • That program is always executed on the core server, but you can use a placeholder in order to provide the hostname of the device to that program
  • That program could use SSH to perform a reboot.

For the email, you can try to send the email in that script as well, or send it with the same notification. Though in the latter case, the email will always be sent if the restart was successful or not.

Created on Jun 25, 2018 12:42:38 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.