What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

My PRTG Instance Failed Last Night and Needed to Be rebooted

Votes:

My PRTG instance needed to be rebooted this morning before it would start working properly. I had sensors that were flipping between up/down (I have a primary and failover configuration) and Unknown. It appeared to occur between 12:40ish this morning and 6:14am when we restarted the server. I have a notification configured to send an email to an email to phone service and they in turn call a group of phone numbers that map to a group of support personnel on my side. The notification is configured to run if there's a down state for 300 seconds. There was a server that was in some sort of down / unstable state and was definitly now working correctly. The HTTPS sensors for the websites on that server should have fired off a notification for the email to phone feature that I just described. It didn't. When looking through the logs, PRTG was flipping between Unknown and up/down status. Should PRTG send an alert when a sensor is Unknown or Unknown / down? The key issue is that I had a server down for about 5 hours last night and PRTG didn't fire off the email to phone notification. Once the server restart was completed I similated a failure and waited for 300 seconds. It worked perfectly. I will say that the PRTG server was waiting on a restart for a Microsoft Windows update it had received the week earlier. I"m not sure it it had anything to do with the issue. Please advise.

thanks,

Todd

failure notification unknown

Created on Jun 26, 2018 2:56:26 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Todd,

Please open up a support ticket with us via Setup | Contact Support and send us a support bundle. This will allow us to analyze the problem better.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 27, 2018 9:00:12 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 27, 2018 9:00:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.