What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP message

Votes:

So, Im trying to query a LSI Raid card. I have all that working, but I want to return the serial # from a disk. It looks like this: 6SL3VY820000B2410SZ1

But when I query it I get a value back its just 0. I don't really care what I see here, but I want to make sure this serial number is included in an email notification.

Furthermore, is it at all possible to have the SNMP message as a searchable value?

I want to add a screenshot, but I can't right now for some reason.

message query snmp

Created on Jun 27, 2018 6:53:38 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Nicholas,
thank you for your KB-Post.

If you point an SNMP Custom String sensor to the relevant OID, it should display the Serial Number in the sensor's message. The sensor's message should be part of the notification. But you can't locate it via the search in PRTG.

However, if you want to monitor an LSI controller, I strongly encourage you to try our ready-to-use template, available here:

The template monitors both physical and logical(virtual) drives. The physical drives are named after the serial number of the drive (pdSerialNumber (1.3.6.1.4.1.3582.4.1.4.2.1.2.1.37)).

If you have any questions or encounter any issues using this template, please report it within the actual LSI topic/post, to keep things in one place.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 28, 2018 6:46:00 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.