What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring network share

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to watch a directory on a network access (example : SRV-AD/PUBLIC/), by looking at on PRTG and at the forum, I notice that I have no answer.

Will a probe be planned for this case? Is there a script capable of doing what I would like to set up?

Thank you,

file network network-share prtg

Created on Jun 28, 2018 2:18:21 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello Quentin,

We appreciate your contact regarding this matter.

If you want to query information from a network folder, I would recommend to use our Folder Sensor. It monitors different attributes of the corresponding folder. Please check if it fits your requirements.

If this is not the case, please let me know which values you want to monitor exactly.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 29, 2018 1:21:16 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you of your answer,

exactly I tested this probe but it does not work on a network sharing.

I wish to put the probe that I wish on a Windows server towards the network sharing (example: SRV-IMP - > SRV-AD)

Created on Jun 29, 2018 2:11:48 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Please note, to monitor shares, the LanmanServer "Server" Windows service must be running on the target computer.

Please let me know what did not work when monitoring the share. Was an error message displayed?

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 2, 2018 2:45:03 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

He indicates me that I attack a UNC path, what is completely normal. The probe waits for a local file and not in network.

Created on Jul 2, 2018 3:05:54 PM

Votes:

Hello,

To do this, please first create a device, i.e. if the UNC path would be the following:

\\testdevice\share\folder\

Create a device with the DNS name "testdevice" and add the folder sensor with "share\folder".

If you want to monitor this from a specific device, please create a remote probe.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 3, 2018 1:59:22 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 28, 2018 12:53:55 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, what if i need to monitor availability of DFS network share with name
%domainname%\%FolderName%\? Folder Sensor don't work in this case.

Created on Dec 27, 2018 2:13:32 PM

Votes:

Hi Vasiliy,

Please use the domain name as "Pv4 Address/DNS Name" for the device.

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 28, 2018 12:55:22 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Vasiliy,

Did you look up those articles:

They all have quite some interesting content about DFS monitoring. Be aware that DFS changed over the years and it might depend on some details like Windows version in regards to which commands and script might or might not work.

Hope you find you answers there - in the end a custom script will always help you.

Personally - I would be less worried if the DFS path is available rather then each share on member level of the namespace, while this might depend on other factors like a network outage as well (e.g. once namespace server is in California and the other one is in Florida - if you monitor all from New York and your network connection is down you might not see either one or depending on what exactly is down only one but not the other... etc..).

By the way - most important in regards to DFS is the backlog monitoring.

After this you might wanna look at file-conflicts in the DFSprivate folders.

Backlog monitoring already kinda checks if at least two members of your namespace are available and active - as well as accessing the namespace in some way - covering your original intent automatically.

Finally - it all depends on what you exactly try to accomplish and the point of view / ankle you look at it to get the results you are looking for.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 28, 2018 2:49:08 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.