What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL 2016 Installed but SQL 2016 WMI Sensor thinks 2012 is installed

Votes:

Hello,

I have SQL 2016 installed on one of my servers, which is part of a SQL Cluster - so both servers are identical builds and both run Windows Server 2012R2 Standard.

I have added in the SQL 2016 WMI sensor to both servers Server1 - all 6 channels work fine

Server 2 - 4 of the 6 channels work fine, 2 refuse to play

The Buffer Manager just stays Grey and returns no results. The Locks Manager says: "Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2 Standard" does not support LockRequestsPersec (Field), AverageWaitTimems (Field), NumberofDeadlocksPersec (Field)

The locks Manager happily reports data from server1.

Server1 is the active node in the cluster, server2 the standby node.

Im guessing it throws the error because server2 is a standby node and server1 runs the SQL cluster role...

but how do i go about stopping the error sowing on server2, but being there ready to report status if the servers ever failover and server2 becomes the primary node running the SQL cluster role?

Thanks

mssqlserver sql wmi-sensors

Created on Jul 2, 2018 4:23:14 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear ftl,

there is no easy solution for that. You can try to make the sensors dependent on a ping though, meaning if the entire server is down, the according SQL sensor is paused for that time as well.

Ping have an auto-acknowledge option, so that no alarm is generated (but an acknowledged-down is still there.) Since it can be the case that the database fails while the computer is still pingable, this approach is not a full solution.

As alternative, you can run both sensors at the same time and perform a kind of auto-acknowledge using a notification with a HTTP transaction, which performs an API on PRTG itself in order to acknowledge that alarm.

Created on Jul 3, 2018 2:47:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok i have currently removed the sql checks from the physical nodes and setup the actual sqlcluster as a device and set the checks to that.

I have not done a roll over of the nodes yet as i cant do it until very late in the evening so cant test that the checks continue to work, im guessing they should as PRTG sis just looking at the SQLcluster IP address, not the actual node.

Created on Jul 3, 2018 3:07:11 PM

Votes:

Dear ftl,

if there are open questions about the options PRTG provide, please clarify.

Created on Jul 3, 2018 8:19:07 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.