What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Large PRTG Database

Votes:

Hello, Currently our PRTG Database is using around 1.2TB, specially because we have to keep 365 days of historical data.

What I would like to know if is possible to keep, let's say, 90 days on fast disks (PCI SSD) to keep a good performance and the rest on regular spinning disks. If yes, how can this be done? Just move the older folders?

I'm asking because it is becoming very painful to keep such a big database on SSDs only.

Thanks

database monitoring-database prtg

Created on Jul 3, 2018 8:35:00 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear zuperzuze,

you can move the entire data folder (including the historic data, logs, and PRTG configuration file). It is not possible to move only the last x days.

In principle you could migrate the data to a PRTG freeware. While limited to 100 active sensors, it is still possible to create reports for paused sensors. However managing this solution is not trivial.

But PRTG is usually fine with a local harddisk, an SSD should not be necessary. So you can move the complete data folder to a large and cheap disk.

Created on Jul 3, 2018 9:18:10 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 3, 2018 9:19:10 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Arne, thanks for the answer.

So, if I keep the Database folder on regular disks and the rest of the installation paths on SSD I would still have good performance? I mean, what are the "hottest" part of the software? Which folders should I keep on SSDs?

Created on Jul 4, 2018 1:54:27 PM

Votes:

Dear zuperzuze,

you can have the installation on one drive and the whole data/log/configuration on another. But you cannot put only some of the data-patch-folders elsewhere.

In many cases, PRTG does not benefit a lot from using an SSD, neither for the installation folder, nor of the data folder. This is because PRTG was conceived at a time where there were no SSDs. Because harddisks are still much more affordable, we also try to maintain the PRTG architecture that an SSD does not become necessary.

It is however important in order to get good performance, to use a drive locally in the server (no network-attached solution.)

An SSD of course does not hurt, but with a typical PRTG setup in mind, our tests show that performance gains are usually not very big. In some cases, reports are generated faster, but unless you create a lot of large reports very often, the practical gain is not that big. Most of the times, reports run in the background as a scheduled task in PRTG, so the performance does not play a very large roll.

Created on Jul 4, 2018 6:17:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.