What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU load, memory, volume sensors show DOWN warning when Client PC is shut down

Votes:

Hello,

The sensors in the topic above show DOWN state when the PC is shut off and everytime I get notification which is not the way it should work. The worning should be for the PING sensor for example and not for sensors like CPU, memory or volume. Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to get warnings then client PC's power off the workstations.

Thank you.

power-off sensor warning

Created on Jul 5, 2018 6:53:06 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Eugen,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Indeed, best practice would be that only the Ping sensor triggers a notification and all other sensors of this device, in this case the client, are paused. This can be done with configuring Dependencies properly.

The easiest approach would be to open the Settings tab of the Ping sensor and scroll down to Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Window. Disable the inheritance and select the Dependency Type to Master object for parent.

Save your changes afterwards. This will set the Ping sensor to be the master object for the parent device. If the Ping sensor fails (is down) all other sensors will be paused automatically. If the Ping sensor is up again, the paused sensors will be started automatically.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 5, 2018 8:20:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. But I don't want to use PING sensor for client PC's. I don't care whether the PC is ON or OFF I just need to know if the VOLUME has enough space and the CPU is not used at max. I don't want to get useless notifications. Is there a solution for such cases? If I'll use PING sensor I will get notified every time the PC is down and I don't want this to happen.

Created on Jul 5, 2018 8:56:47 AM

Votes:

Ok, if a Ping sensor is not the requested indicator in this case, you'll have to configure PRTG notifications accordingly.

As far as I understand your request, I would remove the notification inheritance for all sensors of this device and only define notifications for the CPU load and/or disk space sensor.
A good and detailed step by step guide can be found here:
How to set up notifications via the PRTG web interface

Created on Jul 5, 2018 5:50:11 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 11:50:39 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.