What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Which syntax can I use to define IP ranges in the PRTG probe and flow sensor settings?

Votes:

In the probe settings, in the Allow IPs/Deny IPs fields, I would like to add an IP range instead of single IP addresses. How can I do this?

ip-address prtg range syntax

Created on Aug 23, 2010 10:14:51 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 8:25:44 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In PRTG's probe settings as well as for NetFlow and packet sniffer definitions, you can use a special syntax to define IPs by hostname, hostmask, or ranges.

Defining IP Addresses—Available Options

OptionDescriptionSyntaxExample(s)
1SimpleEnter a fixed IP address.a.b.c.d10.0.10.9
2HostnameEnter a hostname. PRTG will resolve it to an IP address in your network.hostnamedevice-xyz
3HostmaskEnter a hostmask. A hostmask defines the relevant bits of the IP address.a.b.c.d/h or a.b.c.d/e.f.g.h10.0.0.0/255
4RangeEnter an IP address range.a.b.c.d
(see note below)
10.0.0.1-20 or 10.*.0.* or 10.0.0-50.*

Note: When using ranges, replace each of a, b, c, d by:
* (asterisk) = any value; corresponds to 0-255, or
x-y = any range between 0 and 255

Note: This syntax is not available for PRTG's auto-discovery function!

Created on Aug 23, 2010 1:23:52 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Aug 24, 2010 8:27:55 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.