What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring two networks/IP ranges

Votes:

Can I monitor devices on two IP address ranges on a single PRTG server?

My client has two discrete networks running in their office, one is 192.168.0.xx and the other is 172.16.0.xx

If I setup a server with two NICs, one connected to 192.168.0.xx and the second connected to 172.16.0.xx will PRTG discover devices on both networks?

My other option is to run a remote probe via the two routers/firewalls in use, but that would be more complicated

ip nic remote-probe

Created on Jul 6, 2018 8:20:31 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Goeff,

It is possible to query a server on multiple IP addresses. But why do you want to do this?

Queries on 192.168.0.x and 172.16.0.x will double the monitoring load for this particular server and I don't really see the benefit here.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 9, 2018 7:18:56 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 9, 2018 7:20:05 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian

Thanks for the reply and feedback. I am investigating the 'best' options to monitor two LANs on the same site, for display on a single PRTG web interface. I have an ESXi server with multiple NICs and I for my design I could; Option 1) Connect a NIC to each LAN, assign both to the PRTG Windows VM and monitor two IP ranges Option 2) Create a second Windows VM to run a 'remote probe' on it to the main server If your recommendation is Option 2 then I will go with that Regards Geoff

Created on Jul 9, 2018 6:47:30 PM

Votes:

Hello Goeff,

Thank you very much for your reply.

If you only want to monitor the separate network interfaces of the ESXi server, I would suggest one VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP) sensor.
It shows the total number of items in normal, warning, and alert status of the ESXi and so the states of the network interfaces.

If you intend to monitor more devices with multiple IP addresses, I would, however, deploy multiple devices with their IP address within PRTG.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Sebastian

Created on Jul 10, 2018 8:12:52 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.