What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SYSLOG on PRTG (Server VMWare)

Votes:

Hi PRTG Admin,

I want to do SYSLOG on my own server (VMWare) and have some questions as below:

1. Can I do the SYSLOG on Server and if PRTG can do, how can I setup and monitoring the SYSLOG on PRTG?

2. What function of PRTG can do for SYSLOG such as login, logout, network traffic etc?

3. If I have license PRTG already, can I do this function or buy additional?

Respectfully yours, Pond.

syslog syslog-sensor vmware-monitoring

Created on Jul 8, 2018 3:15:44 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Kittikom,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Basically, the Syslog Receiver Sensor of PRTG can be described as a "syslog server". PRTG version 14.1.8 and later includes a syslog receiver which is designed for high performance usage in order to review and analyze incoming syslog messages from various devices.

For details, please see PRTG Manual. See also this step by step guide for a sample configuration.

While using the Syslog Receiver sensor you can configure different Filter Rules to suit your needs.

As PRTG comes with all features included, the Syslog Receiver sensor does not have to be bought additionally.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 9, 2018 6:42:13 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 28, 2023 2:58:55 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.