What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"Local probe device" deleted

Votes:

Hi, today, I wanted to test the DHCP sensor and found that it can only be configured on the local probe device ("Gerät der Probe"). Unfortunately, I've deleted this default device a while ago. I have a newly created device for this server, and also tried to add a new device called "Gerät der Probe" with IP address 127.0.0.1. But none of these will accept to configure the DHCP sensor. Can you help me re-creating the default "local probe device"?

create deleted local-probe-device

Created on Jul 8, 2018 7:38:53 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear schuetz,

Thank you very much for your contact.

When PRTG is been installed, it automatically add a so called Probe Device to the local probe (the machine hosting PRTG). A Probe Device will also be automatically added, if you deploy multiple Remote Probes. The Probe Device is an internal system device which can't be deleted.

To identify the Probe Device of the local Probe, please navigate to this URL within your PRTG instance:
http:/%your-prtg-server%/device.htm?id=40&tabid=1 Please adjust %your-prtg-server% accordingly.

Does this open up the Local Probe's Probe Device?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 9, 2018 6:13:00 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Oh, indeed! Seems I renamed and subsequently overlooked it. Now I was able to add the sensor. Thanks!

Created on Jul 9, 2018 9:46:48 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.