What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring connection

Votes:

Is it possible to monitor a connection from the device I am monitoring?

Example: My monitoring server monitors a Device B. On B I have a probe installed. B needs a connection to C. Now I want to monitor that B has a connection to C.

Is that possible?

Cheers

connection monitoring probe

Created on Jul 9, 2018 1:25:52 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Detlev,
Thank you very much for your contact.

Do I understand you correctly, that you already installed a PRTG Probe (I assume Remote Probe?!) on Device B? If this is the case, add a device on Device B with the address of Device C. Afterwards, you can simply deploy a Ping sensor to monitor the connection between Device B and Device C.

If you don't have a (Remote) Probe on Device B, please check out the WMI Remote Ping sensor instead. The sensor remotely connects to a Windows system (Device B) using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and performs an Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) echo request ("Ping") from this device to a specified target (Device C).

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 10, 2018 9:03:02 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

that comes close... Would it be possible to connect to a specific port?

kind regards Detlev

Created on Jul 10, 2018 9:10:54 AM

Votes:

Hello Detlev,

not via one of the Ping sensors, but the Port sensor could be used in this case.
It tries to connect to the specified TCP/IP port number of a device and waits for the request to be accepted.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 10, 2018 10:03:42 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, but isn´t the Port sensor monitoring the Port on device B and not on C?

best regards Detlev

Created on Jul 10, 2018 10:39:14 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.