What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Incompatible object type for Live Graph (tiny fonts) 2 hours

Votes:

"Incompatible object type. This object only supports sensor." I am a new admin for this company. I have 15+ sensors for SNMP on routers to measure bandwidth that use the Live graph 2 hours in tiny fonts. I added a new sensor but it says incompatible object type for all live graphs. What am I missing?

live-graph snmp snmp-sensor

Created on Jul 11, 2018 4:00:29 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello clindsey,

Thank you very much for your contact.

The map object Graphs | Live graph (tiny fonts) can only be applied to single sensors. I assume that you try to apply this map object to either a device or group or anything else that contains more than one single sensor.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 12, 2018 7:30:51 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm getting a the same "Incompatible Object Type" error when trying to use "Live Graph (sensor only, no labels)" on an SNMP Traffic Sensor. The 2, 30, and 365 day "no labels" graphs all work fine (as do the ones with various sized labels, including their corresponding Live Graphs), it's only the Live Graph with no labels that gives the error. It gives the error both in the Preview and when I drag and drop it out into the map.

Created on Sep 13, 2018 2:53:57 PM

Votes:

Hello DDoster,

What version of PRTG are you currently using?

Indeed, the Live graph (sensor only, no lables) does not show me the preview either, however it shows the graph as soon as dragged and dropped on top of a SNMP Traffic sensor.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 14, 2018 9:44:47 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sebastian,

I'm on 18.3.43.2323.

I did find a work around when adding a new sensor to a map - if I click on the sensor again in the Device Tree so that it's selected, the previews for the Live graphs for the dropped sensor work, and dragging and dropping or double-clicking the Live graph onto the map works fine.

It's like when first going into Map Designer, the Live graphs won't do previews for either new or existing Live graphs, (although existing Live graphs on the map work fine on the map, they just won't show a preview in the Properties pane). Dragging and dropping, or double-clicking, a new Live graph gives the "Incompatible" message on the dropped graph. But once I do the trick above, then all of the Live graph previews work, and I can drop/double-click new Live graphs, until I leave Map Designer. When I go back into Map Designer, the cycle starts all over.

Note that it seems the 2, 30, and 365 day graphs always work. The problem seems to only affect the Live graphs of any font size.

This is just something I've found. Maybe it will help someone else. :)

Created on Sep 14, 2018 1:00:34 PM

Votes:

Hello DDoster,

I just analyzed this one a bit further and it appears to be a known pitfall. To make sure that the preview of the map object loads properly, it's crucial that PRTG is aware to which sensor or object the user refers to resp. what preview is necessary in that moment.

This being said, please make sure to select (one click) the sensor on the left sided device tree that it is blue highlighted. Then, PRTG knows to which object you refer and the preview will be shown properly.

preview_small
Click here to expand this image.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 17, 2018 7:06:19 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 17, 2018 9:22:36 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.