What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Seperate Syslog message in fields

Votes:

I have a syslog receiver that is working and receiving message for a sonicwall firewall. The message come in but when i check in the Web GUI under messages, only the message, severity and Facility fields are filled in. How can I get PRTG parse the message and put the information into the correct field in the database. for example The full message contains the message id, how do I get this out of the message and into the Msg ID field for the database so that I can sort on this or query on this

message parse syslog

Created on Jul 14, 2018 1:01:30 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hm, this can't be extracted properly, at least within the sensor. Can you check if it works as expected with the Kiwi Syslog Server (free)? If so, please provide us with an actual Wireshark capture of the syslog message so we can check out what's going on with the packet :) Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 16, 2018 6:37:47 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.