What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any User Manual for the Downtime Channel in PRTG i could use?

Votes:

Dear Tech Team, Is there any User Manual for the Downtime Channel in PRTG i could use? does it affected by enabling limits? (like when thresholds violate downtime graph demonstrate?) is there any definition of the how downtime percentage calculated? i've seen downtime graphs with like 30% downtime in some intervals on some of my sensors which i didn't have any disconnection there, this sensor's making some problem for my reports , i can't understand the meaning of the channel , i'd be greateful if you could help me.

downtime-channel downtime-defenition downtime-manual

Created on Jul 16, 2018 8:17:18 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

The downtime channel is a virtual channel that resembles the actual availability of the sensor. It's calculation incorporates the coverage metric (amount of time PRTG has been able to monitor it) and the amount of time it has been down during that timespan. Within the historic data of the sensor, is there any outage of the sensor?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 16, 2018 9:46:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

no actually there was no outage on my sensor , but i see a percentage of downtime on some of my graphs , i don't know the result , if i see a 30% downtime on an specific interval ( the sensor has the interval of 30 seconds ) what does it mean? the coverage is 100% at that specific time , also i had normal traffic on my sensor . i don't know the what's the reason

Created on Jul 16, 2018 9:58:12 AM

Votes:

Please open up a support ticket with [email protected], with a historic data report of the sensor that covers the whole sensor history so we can check it. Thanks!

Created on Jul 16, 2018 10:03:39 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry but i didn't got you , i want a clear definition of how downtime sensor works and how does it calculate the percentage of downtime in an interval? i didn't have a drop in my traffic the graph has the normal trend but i can see downtime on data table.

Created on Jul 18, 2018 6:47:58 AM

Votes:

Sorry about the confusion, the post with the elastic server IP was meant for another thread. The down channel is a virtual channel within every (not a sensor) and represents the amount of time the sensor was in an actual down state (due to an error or an actual non-availability of the corresponding endpoint. When checking the historic data report of the sensor with the raw option in the interval section, you should be able to see the actual outages.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 18, 2018 9:00:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.