What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Central PRTG Data Directory for multiple hosts?

Votes:

Hi folks!

I was watching a looooong robocopy job on our monitoring database directory and it got me thinking, is there any way we could store all 5 monitoring databases on a single central server and then point the 5 core installations to their specified paths?

We're restoring from backup following a pretty significant hardware failure and this would make the process significantly faster. Im aware you have cluster options that would bypass this issue but im curious hypothetically if this is possible and what kind of performance issues we may face.

kindest Sam

database monitoring-database unc

Created on Jul 16, 2018 1:42:02 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hey Sam,

This would work if the SAN is attached to the network with proper speed (pardon my tautology :D), so that PRTG can write with corresponding speeds to the files. Note that you need separate directories for each monitoring database, as there may be duplicates overwriting each other otherwise.

What bandwidth are we talking about here if I may ask?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 16, 2018 6:46:29 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.