What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

RMON Sensor Problem

Votes:

Hi There , I've recently added a RMON sensor for an Ethernet interface on cisco catalyst switch , the interface which i've configured RMON has CRC's but RMON sensor Doen't show any crc , it has the value of 0 , even RMON statistics doesn't show the crc which show interface command has given, is it a sort of but im facing with this sensor? or does it collect the data by the use of RMON statistics? thank you

crc ethernet rmon

Created on Jul 18, 2018 6:27:25 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Elahe90, we appreciate your contact.

The following applies both to the RMON and Traffic SNMP-based sensors:

These sensor's measurements are per-second measurements, which means that when for instance a single packet discard occurs over one standard scanning interval (60 seconds) it will be reported as 0.016 discards per second.

The CRC errors displayed in the Cisco's CLI's are total amount of CRC errors since the last reboot of the device. If you've just added the sensor(s) in PRTG now and the counters haven't changed since then, PRTG will continue to report 0/sec for this metric.

To get alerted when these values changes, please configure limits for the relevant channels. You might also want to have notifications (state triggers that act after 0 seconds) to get notified when something goes wrong, because if the sensor is only down for one interval you may miss it.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 18, 2018 11:09:13 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello there , Thank you very much for your complete answer , but i didn't understand if it will be the same value if i clear counter the interface until the device will be rebooted? or it could reset the value?

Created on Jul 18, 2018 11:16:38 AM

Votes:

The sensor will only show a new value if new CRC errors are detected. As long the the value in the CLI stays the same (no new errors) the sensor will also report 0 errors/sec.

Resetting the values in the CLI will make no difference, because the sensor doesn't care for historic values.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 18, 2018 12:30:46 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.