What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traps - shall blink on dashboard if this event happens

Votes:

Hello,

I have activated Traps on my switchs and added the sensor on prtg and it works so far.

Now I want to if something happens on a Switchport or somebad is plugin or plugout a LAN cable it shall give me a sign on my dashboard under devices for the switch that something happens on the ports.

How can I do that?

I have a filter for the action under the traps configured with:

bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkUp"]
bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkDown"]

So if this event happens it should appear on my dashboard for all switches.

Is that possible and how can I configure this alerts?

Thanks in Advance

snmp switch traps

Created on Jul 19, 2018 1:29:15 PM

Last change on Jul 19, 2018 9:08:30 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

I tried to define a filter rule for a Warning state with

bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkUp"]
bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkDown"]

So I could get a notification with an trigger under Setup >> Account Settings >> Notifications

But when the trap is happening with bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkUp"] or bindings["SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkDown"] no error are shown and so no notification will be send.

Why is the error not shown?

Created on Jul 20, 2018 1:59:18 PM

Last change on Jul 23, 2018 2:01:59 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for your inquiry, we appreciate your contact regarding this matter!

In order to setup a filter correctly, you can use the "Messages" Tab to setup the filter accordingly. Please navigate to this tab, configure the filter to your needs (show filter on the top right side). If the filter is configured correctly, you can click on the gear on the right side. The window will show you, how the filter should look like.

Note that the Sensor will be in down state for one interval and will then switch back.

Please let me know if that works out fine.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 23, 2018 2:14:21 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.