What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Graph Spikes - SonicWALL SNMP VPN

Votes:

I am monitoring 37 SonicWALL VPN tunnels with PRTG Hosted and every one of them has spikes over 14000000 for both Encrypted Packets and Decrypted Packets and they are usually at the same time intervals for a very brief duration. I'm assuming those spikes are caused by the tunnel renegotiation every 8 hours. I don't think 14,317,482 packets are generated every time a tunnel renegotiates. Is this a false positive?

Because of this I've learned how to limit spike traffic as a work around, but I will have to edit 37 and counting different SonicWALL SNMP VPN sensors. If that is the only way to correct it, can I do a "bulk" edit all at once?

VPN Tunnel Example

snmpsonicwallvpntrafficsensor sonicwall vpn

Created on Jul 19, 2018 6:31:06 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Chris,

You can use the multi edit feature to apply the spike limit to multiple channels: Multi-Edit. Please note that this will just work for the exact same sensors and channels, otherwise the channels will not be visible in the multi edit window.

Create a list of the sensors: "Sensors > By Type" and mark the sensors on the right side to bulk edit them. You can then switch the tab to not monitor the sensors settings, but the channel settings.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jul 20, 2018 1:55:07 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.