What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cannot add an SNMP Sensor to my device

Votes:

Hello there,

I am trying to add a new SNMP Windows Server Sensor but it is not possible. Everytime I try to add the sensor i get this errror message:

Sorry, the scan for available monitoring items has failed! Could not create the sensor SNMP Windows Service on device XXX

N-2003

I have SNMP enable on my Computer and when I run SNMP Tester I also get the same error code.

Does someone know how to fix the Problem? Thanks

error-2003 prtg snmp-sensor

Created on Jul 24, 2018 11:08:03 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Stefanie,

SNMP error 2003 means that the target device is not responding to the SNMP request. This can have several reasons like the SNMP settings in PRTG (community, port, version) do not match what's configured on the target device's end or the device accepts only SNMP requests from particular hosts.

Since your target device is a Windows server, please make sure the SNMP service is running on it (the target server) and is configured to respond to SNMP requests from other hosts (by default is is configured to only listen to "localhost" otherwise, check tab "Security" of the SNMP service's properties).

See also:
How to Enable SNMP on Your Operating System

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 25, 2018 11:15:08 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.