What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there anyway to get alerts while migration is happening?

Votes:

I will be migrating PRTG to a new server. I know this will take a while so I need to know if there is anyway to get alerts from the sensors while migration is happening.

alerts migration prtg

Created on Jul 24, 2018 6:31:39 PM

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear techguy,

during migration, the PRTG probe service is down so sensors are not working, also the core service is down and cannot send out notification.

Many parts of the migration can be done in parallel (like installing PRTG on the new server) meaning the actual downtime can usually be kept short.

Created on Jul 24, 2018 8:41:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. What else can be done in parallel? What can be done to keep downtime as short as possible?

Created on Jul 24, 2018 8:43:05 PM

Votes:

Dear techguy,

you could also copy most of the data (except for the current day) from "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Monitoring Database" to the new server before stopping the services. Please review the official migration guide to see which steps are necessary to migrate. Anything which is not changed (historic data except for the current day, and the file "PRTG Configuraiton.dat") can be copied before stopping PRTG on the old server.

Created on Jul 24, 2018 8:52:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I really appreciate the quick replies. How long would migration take then? Your official guide says it would take "a while". I can't have the alerts down for more than a couple of hours.

Created on Jul 24, 2018 8:54:40 PM

Votes:

Dear techguy,

the downtime can usually be kept below an hour. You can prepare the new server by configuring the web interface settings and copying the bulk of the data-folder content. Then stop the PRTG services on both server.

Now copy the rest, the "PRTG Configuration.dat" file and the current-date subfolder of the "Monitoring Database" folder.

When the core service is restarted after the migration, that first start-up takes more time because PRTG computes the graph data cache for the last three days (and does the rest via a background task.) A machine powerful enough to run PRTG might need 5 to 20 minutes for that.

Created on Jul 25, 2018 2:58:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have two folders called Monitoring Database. One has newer dates and the other has older dates. Do both of them need to be copied to the new server?

Never mind. This was from someone else's previous attempts of migration. Disregard.

Created on Jul 31, 2018 3:57:32 PM

Last change on Jul 31, 2018 7:00:00 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear techguy,

PRTG only uses one of such folders. That means, the current PRTG will not show the content of both. In order to keep the current status, only the newer "Monitoring Database" has to be copied. You can try to merge the content into one "Monitoring Database" folder but it is not clear what would happen, as the history of the older "Monitoring Database" is not known. The best way seems to copy only the newer folder, while making a backup of the old, just in case.

Created on Jul 31, 2018 4:33:55 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Earlier response:"Anything which is not changed (historic data except for the current day, and the file "PRTG Configuraiton.dat") can be copied before stopping PRTG on the old server."

Does this mean all folders can be moved before stopping the core services?

Created on Jul 31, 2018 5:53:14 PM

Votes:

Dear techguy,

except for the files in the base folder "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\". and the most recent subfolder in "Monitoring Database", yes.

Created on Jul 31, 2018 6:55:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.