What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need help in creating a custom powershell sensor

Votes:

Hi,

can any one please help me in creating a custom powershell sensor? or an example would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

custom-sensor powershell prtg

Created on Jul 24, 2018 7:40:17 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

You could as well just define a little bit more what you want to monitor and there might even be a ready to use script available already.

Besides that, you will find plenty of examples within your PRTG installation, on the PRTG web site in the online manual and so on.

You will need to have some knowledge about writing PowerShell scripts, besides that it is only about the output that this script will actually give back to PRTG to process.

Hope that helps a bit further... I have a lot of examples written and posted in the PRTG KB here and on my personal blog on my web site - but if you want something specific, I suggest you define it and we see if we can help you out.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jul 25, 2018 2:24:22 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear amandrekar,

a very simple sensor would be

write-host "0:The result is zero"

A more complex example can be reviewed here.

An Exe/Script Advanced sensor however needs to return an XML structure. Documentation, including a simple output example is available here.

Created on Jul 24, 2018 8:44:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 24, 2018 8:46:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

You could as well just define a little bit more what you want to monitor and there might even be a ready to use script available already.

Besides that, you will find plenty of examples within your PRTG installation, on the PRTG web site in the online manual and so on.

You will need to have some knowledge about writing PowerShell scripts, besides that it is only about the output that this script will actually give back to PRTG to process.

Hope that helps a bit further... I have a lot of examples written and posted in the PRTG KB here and on my personal blog on my web site - but if you want something specific, I suggest you define it and we see if we can help you out.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jul 25, 2018 2:24:22 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.