What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Query PRTG data from other systems

Votes:

One of the many things we utilize PRTG for is to monitor the connectivity of our remote locations. We use simple ping sensors to verify that their connection is good. I am wanting to be able to extend the ping results to our ERP system and be able to be able to warn users in that system when they are entering orders against a remote site. If that remote site is down I want to be able to warn the user that they may wish to try and place the order against a different location. So I need a way to access the PRTG data or a way for the sensor to write out to a file or database. Is there anything I can do with PRTG to accomplish this goal?

connectivity ping prig remote

Created on Jul 26, 2018 6:48:14 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Have you looked into our PRTG API? You can use a REST query to poll for individual sensor data.

So if you're 3rd party system can do that, we can accommodate you. Also, you might think about creating a map with the data on it, and then that map can be made available to whoever needs to see it.

You can access the PRTG API from your web interface by going to Setup -> PRTG API. You can then use the Live Data tab to get more information.

Regarding maps, check out these two videos
Creating Maps
Extending Maps

Let me know if you have any questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jul 28, 2018 12:24:32 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thank you. I had not looked in to the API. I will research that direction.

In the meantime what I am doing is created a new notification using the HTTP POST notification. Then created a web page that will take that post data and update a database. So far it seems to work but I am concerned about the possibility of something not working properly when the HTTP POST is done when the sensor comes back up. If for some reason the HTTP POST doesn’t go through and update the database then the database may have the wrong information and since it only sends one notification when the sensor goes from down to up, there is no subsequent notification to ensure that the database gets updated.

Created on Jul 28, 2018 12:40:45 AM

Votes:

Keith,

Does the POST include a timestamp? Because what I would do is create a simple script that does a compare of the last update to the database table versus the latest timestamp on the POST site. In theory, the database should always be the youngest time.

Thoughts?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jul 28, 2018 12:45:47 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.