What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ping sensor reading unusually log

Votes:

Hello. I have a ping sensor (for a map object) that is on a core switch. For some reason, it will periodically go amber as it is "reading unusually low for this period". I do not have this problem with all the other ping sensors that make up the map. I have poked around on the knowledge base, and have found some discussions on bandwidth sensors doing the same thing, and to tweak things in the bandwidth sensors channels tab. Well, the ping sensor does not have that tab, so that line of thought does not work for the ping sensor. Basically we have a map of all our devices on the management network, and the map is monitoring ping. Since all the devices respond to ping, the map is green. But for some reason I can't figure out, we have two of our N7K core switches that will from time to time go amber because the ping time appears to be too fast for "normal". Now granted, ping being "too" fast is not a problem! I just can't understand how to get the sensor to not go amber when performance goes from "super" fast to "super duper" fast. I know that the amber warning is not a problem, but my CIO who has the monitor screen up on a big tv in his office wants to know what is wrong, when nothing is wrong.

Any ideas on what I can tweak to "fix" this problem?

Also, understand that I have a separate section in prtg where I have lots and lots of sensors on each device (other than ping but ping is included) that monitor bandwidth and interface status (up or down) and are not part of the map. The map display is more of a quick and dirty "eyes on glass" to see that the devices are up (they respond to ping). So if someone cuts our fiber optic ring, the map stays green (the devices respond to ping on the redundant connections), but my full devices area will have 60 alarms for interfaces that are down as a result of the cut.

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm guessing that there is probably not much I can do, since the ping sensor is pretty basic and not much to tinker with, typically the device is either up or it's not.

Thanks.

Mike Baker City of Aurora, Illinois coaprtgcoa

ping ping-sensor prtg

Created on Jul 31, 2018 9:23:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

You could simply disable the unusual detection in the advanced network analysis section of the device settings. This will stop the sensor from going into unusual. What the sensor (or PRTG) does is to take values of the last 50 weeks and compare them to the current one. When it's comparatively low/high, it will go into unusual to make the administrator aware of it.

There's no actual way of configuring this (apart from what amount of % is considered unusual), as the historic values would need to be modified.

But if you want to get rid of it, either disable unusual detection or recreate the sensor :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 1, 2018 9:05:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.