What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI eventlog monitor alert on new records volume not speed

Votes:

Hi, i want to set an alert on the new records volume and not on speed... so if 1 new record is there i want to setup the sensor to down.....

is this possible, i only see how to set the upper error limit on speed...

alerts eventlog prtg

Created on Aug 2, 2018 10:08:45 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Benny,

I am afraid to tell you that this is only possible with a workaround.

As the Eventlog Sensors shows us the log entry per second, you actually can't set Limits on pure volume.

You can however, set an "Upper Error Limit" of "0.0001" in the Channel's settings, which will always trigger when a log entry is there.

Please note that this status will persist only one scanning interval (this is because the channel shows items per time).

Please Create a State Trigger on the Notifications tab of the sensor with a corresponding notification to be sure to not miss any uncommon event log entries.

Please also find additional information in the following blogpost:
Event Log Sensors: Setting Correct Status and Source Filter

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 3, 2018 12:52:03 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Andreas, thnx for the answer, I figured out something like that.

But to conclude...it's not possible to set the primary channel to Volume in stead of the mess/sec?

I don't need the mess/sec...I want to monitor how many specific log entries are there per minut (monitoring of time outs on a specific software)…

Rgds Benny

Created on Aug 3, 2018 1:18:14 PM

Votes:

Hi Benny,

Actually messages per second is volume based. I am afraid though you're not able to set it to messages per minute.

As an alternative you could also set the channel to display the value in a percent of maximum. You can enter a maximum value on which the percentage calculation is based on, in the channel's settings under the point "data".

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 6, 2018 10:42:23 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.