What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multi-sensor management

Votes:

Hello,

I've installed PRTG on my company to monitor several customers. They all have an Active Directory, an Exchange server and other servers. For all these services, I've created dedicated groups on PRTG and run a first auto-discover (Customer1_AD, Customer1_Exchange, Customer2_AD, Customer2_Exchange etc...). PRTG discovered several sensors.

Now that all customers are monitored, I'd like to fine-tune sensors and setup same thresholds for each sensors of same service. I would like to find a quick way to change all sensor and avoid to go through each sensor of a device.

I performed a test and created an auto-discover template based on the AD device of customer1. I setup thresholds for memory, disk usage and CPU. Then, on AD device of customer2, I ran an auto-discover with template and chose the template created before. I thought it will replace all sensors with ones on the template, and set the thresholds but it did not work. Existing sensors are not replaced.

I would like advice on how to manage and update sensors for same kind of servers once they are already deployed. Should I use tags like "Exchange_Memory", "AD_Memory" and then use multi-edit? Or is their another easiest way?

Hope that my explanation is clear.

Thank you in advance.

Jonathan

multi-edit prtg sensors template

Created on Aug 6, 2018 2:42:37 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Jonathan,

I'm afraid auto-discovery does not replace/update existing sensors. It will only create new sensors as defined in the template unless there are already sensors present that were created using the same template.

In order to adjust limits in sensors, the best approach would be listing sensors of the same type, for example by using the menu like "Sensors | By Type | ...." and then use Multi Edit to bulk-edit settings and limits in those sensors.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 7, 2018 11:13:53 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

Thank you for the answer.

I'll tag all sensors, depending of the device. Then I'll be able to list all sensors I want to update and finally use Multi Edit. But this will take a while to put in place ....

For all new devices, I'll create templates with sensors already tagged and with threshold already setup so it should be fine.

Thank you. Jonathan

Created on Aug 7, 2018 3:44:57 PM

Votes:

Hello Jonathan,

Very well, sounds like a plan. Yes, adding those tags can be some effort, but in the end it pays off, since they can come in quite handy.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 8, 2018 6:07:08 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.