What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor VM migration across VMWare cluster

Votes:

Would you please tell me how can I monitor VM migration (cold migration or vMotion). I have two VMware clusters within the same vCenter. The second cluster includes only oracle VMs and I need to prove to oracle team that those oracle VM are not moving to anywhere.

Any suggestions?

generating a report with a list of VM per host at a specific time is not an option because I need to show that no migration across cluster happen during a long periode of time.

migration monitor vmware

Created on Aug 10, 2018 9:15:26 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Nesrine,

This sounds like a quality controlled system or validated system. Dealing with those is one of the challenges in the IT world.

If possible, create VMware rules in the cluster that actually bind the VM to a host and document those with screenshots in your validation documents and configuration documents as well.

Further are the logfiles of VMware are a proofing tool that could be periodically reviewed.

To accomplish this via PRTG and since you deal with guest bound to host and only have a few that should match, you possibly could use the VMware REST API to check this.

Browse your VMware cluster API with https://your-server/apiexplorer/#!/VM_/get_vcenter_vm - respective API vCenter and VM. You can provide the filter values filter.hosts and filter.names.

Then use the PRTG REST sensor and query it with the determined API requests.

Did not test this, but this seems to me the best way to accomplish your specific task and make sure the guest does not leave the host.

Of course, you only specify one host and one guest per request, so you bind them together. If the guest is not found on the host you would get an error.

Test this and proof it with a VM that would roam on the cluster or move it forcefully to proof the sensor fires and document this in your validation documentation so the Oracle DBA / business application team has proof and good.

Hope this helps you,

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Aug 13, 2018 4:17:29 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.