What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor NextGen (Mirth) Connect with PRTG

Votes:

Can I monitor my NextGen (Mirth) Connect installation with PRTG? What steps do I need to take?

exe-script-advanced-sensor powershell prtg script

Created on Aug 15, 2018 8:08:28 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 3, 2018 8:54:36 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 18 or later

Monitoring NextGen (Mirth) Connect with PRTG

You can monitor your NextGen (Mirth) Connect communication server with the EXE/Script Advanced sensor from PRTG and a custom script. With the custom script, you can create a custom Mirth System Health sensor and a custom Mirth Channel Stats sensor. These sensors allow you to monitor important parameters of the communication server.

Create a New Device

• Create a new device in PRTG with the IP address of the NextGen (Mirth) Connect communication server. We recommend that you use a new device to avoid issues if the Linux credentials change.
  • In the device's settings, enter your NextGen (Mirth) Connect username and password under Credentials for Linux/Solaris/Mac OS (SSH/WBEM) Systems.
  • Click OK to continue.

Note: You can use a custom device template to automatically add the custom Mirth sensors to your device. See Auto-Discovery via Device Template below.

Monitoring Mirth System Health

You can monitor system health using the EXE/Script Advanced sensor and our custom script to create a custom Mirth System Health sensor. You can find the script in the PRTG eHealth-NEXTGEN-Connect project on GitLab. With this sensor, you can monitor

• CPU %
  • Free Memory
  • Free Disk Space

1. Copy the script prtg_mirth.ps1 and save it in the Custom Sensors\EXEXML subfolder of the PRTG program directory.

2. Create a new EXE/Script Advanced sensor.

3. Under EXE/Script select prtg_mirth.ps1.

4. Enter the following under Parameters

prtg_mirth.ps1 <IP/DNS> <port> <%linuxuser> <%linuxpassword> "system"

5. Replace <IP/DNS>, <port>, <username>, and <password>.

6. Click Create to add the sensor.

Mirth System Health Sensor
Click here to enlarge.

Monitoring Individual Interfaces

You can also monitor individual interfaces using the EXE/Script Advanced sensor and the same custom script as mentioned above to create a custom Mirth Channel Stats sensor. This sensor monitors the number of sent and received messages as well as faulty and buffered messages of the following channels:

• Received
  • Sent
  • Filtered
  • Error
  • Queue

Follow the same steps as with the custom Mirth System Health sensor but under Parameters, enter the following

prtg_mirth.ps1 <IP/DNS> <port> <username> <password> "channel" <channelID>

Channel Sensor
Click here to enlarge.

Auto-Discovery via Device Template

You can also use a custom device template so that PRTG regularly scans the device and creates sensors for newly added channels from Mirth.

• Copy the prtg_mirth_template.odt from the PRTG eHealth-NEXTGEN-Connect project on GitLab.
  • Save it in the \devicetemplates subfolder of the PRTG program directory
  • In the device's settings, go to section Device Type.
  • Under Sensor Management, select the option Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s).
  • Select the template NEXTGEN (Mirth) Connect.
  • Select a Discovery Schedule.
  • Click Save to continue.

Debugging

For debugging purposes, you can also add the -Verbose parameter to enable logging to the console.

Created on Aug 15, 2018 11:32:46 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 5, 2018 7:47:09 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can generate a support ticket if this is better served by that method? I have inherited this setup, so learning.... This is the error I receive when I run the system check:

XML: The returned XML does not match the expected schema. (code: PE233) -- JSON: The returned JSON does not match the expected structure (Invalid JSON.). (code: PE231)

Created on Mar 7, 2019 4:27:50 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The knowledgebase is meant more for user to user interaction. If you need support, then please open a ticket under "[email protected]" or as described here:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/support_contact_support

Best regards.

Created on Mar 7, 2019 6:58:16 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm the same error

XML: The returned XML does not match the expected schema. (code: PE233) -- JSON: The returned JSON does not match the expected structure (Invalid JSON.). (code: PE231)

when apply EXE/Script Advanced sensor with prtg_mirth.ps1. How to fixed it?

Created on Jul 26, 2021 3:01:36 AM

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 6:32:17 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello alexlin,

please open a support ticket to "[email protected]" and we will continue there. Thanks!

Created on Jul 29, 2021 8:40:11 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.