What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Restarting PRTG Core Server says reachable on different subnet (Adapter) than the selected "Outgoing

Votes:

This is a follow-up to my question:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/80442-prtg-running-on-home-lan-accessing-work-lan-via-sonicwall-netextender#reply-277863
where basically my home PC has two IP addresses:

• on my home LAN 192.168.1.x, and
  • via my work VPN (SonicWall NetExtender) 10.199.12.x (when it is connected)

Restarting PRTG Core Server, while SonicWall NetExtender is enabled and connected, the pop-up says: "After the restart, your server will be reachable on: http://10.199.12.5" but I only want to monitor my home LAN and run with addresses on the local LAN, which is why, two months ago, per the knowledgebase cited above, in the PRTG Administrator Tool, on the Probe Settings for Monitoring tab I manually selected the radio button to monitor the local LAN only (192.168.1.11)

I only noticed this problem because I got the "PRTG is Still Here" email after it had NOT been probing for ten days.

My question is: if the "IPv4: Outgoing IP for monitoring requests" is set to the 192.168.1.11 radio button, why would the server be reachable on a different subnet? (specifically the SonicWall NetExtender 10.199.12.5)

Thanks, Tony

outgoing-ip-for-monitoring sonicwall-netextender vpn

Created on Aug 19, 2018 3:51:08 PM

Last change on Aug 20, 2018 10:49:54 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Please note that the webserver and the probe of PRTG are two different aspects and processes. The probe can be set to a specific subnet, but the webserver can still listen to all IP addresses. To change this, please open the "PRTG Administration Tool" again and check the "Web Server"-settings where you can select only the IP addresses PRTG should listen on.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 20, 2018 10:51:28 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.