What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Update Status - change alert level

Votes:

Hi, the Windows Update Status sensor seems to be working fine, only it is showing as down:

(Updates (Severity Critical) Missing) is above the error limit of 0.20 # in Updates (Severity Critical) Missing — 2 # (Updates (Unclassified) Missing) is above the warning limit of 0.20 # in Updates (Unclassified) Missing etc.

I have looked in the Settings area and Notification Triggers tab where to set these levels? Let's say I only want Down state after > 3 Critical Missing

Can you point me to the right place?

powershell prtg windows-update-status

Created on Aug 20, 2018 11:58:10 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please open the settings page of the sensor in PRTG and enable the option "Write sensor result to disk (Filename: "Result of Sensor [ID].txt")". The results will be written into the log file directory of the probe, where the sensor is configured:

- "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)"

Please zip and forward the files via email to [email protected] for further investigation by referring to this Knowledge Base article. The ID of the sensor is part of the web browser URL and is also displayed on the sensor's overview page.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 21, 2018 5:10:22 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Support,

Did you guys find whats the root cause of this issue. I'm having a similar problem in our environment.

Thank You Regards Bharat

Created on Nov 26, 2018 12:10:19 AM

Votes:

Hello Bharat,

What exact problem do you encounter, does the sensor show missing update and you want to know which updates are missing? If so, kindly follow the steps provided in my first reply and provide the results of the sensor via email to [email protected]

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 26, 2018 6:40:34 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We found that editing the channel settings caused this not to show as "Down"

I believe the defaults were at 2 updates or something like that, and we didn't need it to be that low - check all the categories to see which is causing it, as there are Critical updates, Missing updates, etc and set the tolerances you are comfortable with.

Created on Nov 26, 2018 10:25:08 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.