What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

REST Custom BETA sensor and HWiNFO

Votes:

HWiNFO has a plugin called "Remote Sensor Monitor" that provides hardware sensor values over a small webserver on the host system (https://www.hwinfo.com/addons.php)

Small example output here (also available here, if formatting below is broken: https://pastebin.com/wPqaf5YQ)

[
  {
    "SensorApp": "HWiNFO",
    "SensorClass": "CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K",
    "SensorName": "Core #0 Clock",
    "SensorValue": "4099,016",
    "SensorUnit": "MHz",
    "SensorUpdateTime": 1535033257
  },
  {
    "SensorClass": "CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS",
    "SensorName": "Core #0",
    "SensorValue": "35",
    "SensorUnit": "°C",
  },
  {
    "SensorName": "CPU Package",
    "SensorValue": "36",
  },
  {
    "SensorName": "Core Max",
    "SensorValue": "36",
  },
  {
    "SensorName": "Core #0 Thermal Throttling",
    "SensorValue": "0",
    "SensorUnit": "Yes/No",
  },
  {
    "SensorClass": "S.M.A.R.T.: Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 (162913483656)",
    "SensorName": "Drive Remaining Life",
    "SensorValue": "98",
    "SensorUnit": "%",
  }
]

By using http://jsonpath.com/ I am able to create a working filter that (as an example) extracts the "CPU Package" value in a specific SensorClass named "CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS".

$.[?(@.SensorClass == 'CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS' && @.SensorName == 'CPU Package')].SensorValue

As a result I get the following output:

[
  "36"
]

I have created a .template on the PRTG server with the following content:

{
  "prtg": {
    "description" : {
      "device": "192.168.1.51:55555",
      "query": "/",
      "comment": "demo"
    },
    "result": [
      {
        "channel": "Temperature",
        "value": $.[?(@.SensorClass == 'CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS' && @.SensorName == 'CPU Package')].SensorValue,
        "unit": "Temperature"
      }
    ]
  }
}

Using this template on the "REST Custom BETA" sensor produces this error:

16:08:41
	TYRELL	REST Custom BETA	REST Custom	Warning	
Parsing error: { "prtg": { "description" : { "device": "192.168.1.51:55555", "query": "/", "comment": "demo" }, "result": [ { "channel": "Temperature", "value": $.[?(@.SensorClass == 'CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS' && @.SensorName == 'CPU Package')].SensorValue, "unit": "Temperature" } ] } } :11:20 - 11:21 unexpected "[" while scanning JSON select expected Ident, "." or "*".

I might be mistaken, but as far as I can tell, this is because there are square brackets in the output of the jsonpath filter used.

So my question is: Is there any way to get the square brackets stripped away without having to use external parsing of the json output? (Or is there something else causing the error here?)

hwinfo json jsonpath rest

Created on Aug 23, 2018 2:28:26 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

I'm sorry, I've included a previous error there. Could you please try the updated version from my previous post? I changed the double quotes and deleted the ".":

old: "value": $.[?
new: "value": $[?

Thank you in advance!

Andreas Günther
Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 27, 2018 12:33:05 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

Could you please try the following template and let me know if it works?

{
      "device": "192.168.1.51:55555",
      "comment": "demo"
    },
      {
        "channel": "Temperature",
        "value": $[?(@.SensorClass == "CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-8700K: DTS" && @.SensorName == "CPU Package")].SensorValue,
        "unit": "Temperature"
      }
    ]
  }
}

Andreas Günther

Created on Aug 27, 2018 6:58:38 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 27, 2018 12:28:41 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm still getting the same error. (The double quotes didn't help. Or were there any other changes that I didn't see?)

Created on Aug 27, 2018 12:05:41 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

I'm sorry, I've included a previous error there. Could you please try the updated version from my previous post? I changed the double quotes and deleted the ".":

old: "value": $.[?
new: "value": $[?

Thank you in advance!

Andreas Günther

Created on Aug 27, 2018 12:33:05 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again,

Wow, yes now it works. Thank you! You have no idea the amount of time I've spent on troubleshooting this while being entirely focused on how I could get rid of the square brackets - instead of looking at the . operator.

I assumed the first dot after the root $ symbol was needed for the subscript operator [] brackets.

Which brings me to the next questions:

Does this mean the error message PRTG was producing is always about erroneous formatting of the .template file - and not about the .template file's output?

Why do the various online jsonpath evaluators accept the first . operator without giving erroneous output? Is the PRTG .template parsing done differently somehow?

Created on Aug 27, 2018 1:10:09 PM

Votes:

Another issue: my channel names are now always ending with an unwanted extra character "0" (zero).

This is the template (used on this example json output: https://pastebin.com/ZDkecsdD ):

{
      "device": "HWiNFO",
      "comment": "test"
    },
      {
        "channel": "Fan Chassis1" ,
        "value": $[?(@.SensorClass == "ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (Nuvoton NCT6793D)" && @.SensorName == "Chassis1" && @.SensorUnit == "RPM")].SensorValue ,
        "unit": "Custom",
        "customunit": "RPM"
      }
    ]
  }
}

And to troubleshoot easier, this is the output from rest.exe

../..
      {
        "channel": "Fan Chassis10",
        "Value": 231,
        "Unit": "Custom",
        "CustomUnit": "RPM"
      }
../..

There is something when using filters that triggers PRTG to add the extra "0" at the end. If I put a static value in the template, the "0" in the channel name goes away.

Even a short filter like this will put a "0" in the channel name:

"value": $[?(@.SensorName == "Chassis1" )].SensorValue ,

Any ideas?

Created on Aug 27, 2018 5:08:09 PM

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, the error you're receiving always points to errors from the template itself, not the output of the template. PRTG is in fact parsing JSON a little bit differently yes, we are aware of the situation and are still improving the sensor.

The 0 at the end of channel names is displayed because the JSON parse is actually an array and can report multiple lines.

Could you please try the following line and see if the 0 is still added?

"value": $($[?(@.SensorClass == "ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (Nuvoton NCT6793D)" && @.SensorName == "Chassis1" && @.SensorUnit == "RPM")])[0].SensorValue ,

Thank you for your reply!

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 29, 2018 10:51:08 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 30, 2018 10:34:58 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again,

Finally I'm seeing a proper channel name without the "0" at the end. Thank you :)

Do you have any suggestion for how to test jsonpath/filters when working with templates, when there is such discrepancy between online jsonpath evaluators and PRTG? (The line you suggested above doesn't give any results in online jsonpath evaluators)

Created on Aug 30, 2018 11:36:07 AM

Votes:

Hi Ivan,

That's great to hear! :)

You're right, the usage of online jsonpath evaluators might not work properly with complex JSONPath expressions that PRTG supports.

The REST Custom sensor is an EXE sensor, so you can test and debug your configuration by executing rest.exe with several parameters. You'll find the rest.exe in the \Sensor System subfolder of the PRTG program directory.

Please find additional information here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/rest_custom_sensor#usage

Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Aug 30, 2018 7:57:52 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.