What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

On 18.3.43 field %status show "Down ended" instead "Up" ???

Votes:

I'm very unpleasantly surprised when after upgrade to 18.3.43 my email notification for show complex text Down ended (now: Up) instead of simple Up...

Previously you have two statuses:

• Up
  • Down

from the plane you can easily see what it is in fraction of a second.

Now you have:

• Down ended (now: Up)
  • Down

for both statuses show Down in first word ! If you are looking hunderds of lines, quick conclusion is "both statuses are Down"!

If you really want to add something more in text you can change this status to something like: Up (from: Down) or Up (from: Unknown) to show previous status of sensor, but even that please make as some option which can be deactivated, or better introduce new variable "previous status" ! And everybody can customize it's message.

Key point is that first word must be most important information, and rest of words are just more details.

Guys, come on ! This is monitoring software, not poetry contest !

message notification status-field

Created on Aug 27, 2018 10:09:04 AM

13 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

What version where you using prior the upgrade so we can reproduce this on our side. The reason I am asking is that I can't find any hint for this change in the recent notes and our internal development database.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 27, 2018 11:13:10 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

we are using standard Stable release channel for updates.

Here is history of updates:
August 22 - installed Version 18.3.43.2323
July 24 - installed Version 18.3.42.1748
June 13 - installed Version 18.2.41.1652

status text for Up in email notifications was changed to Down ended (now: Up) right after update on August 22.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 27, 2018 5:20:46 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I was able to reproduce this behavior. As far as I know this was added with the overall Notification Improvement in the latest release, even though we don't specify it in the notes:

• Release Notes For The "Stable" Release Channel Before we will open an internal development ticket to change that back, we will see if other customers see this improvement as bad. But please note that your feedback will be used in further discussions about this change.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 28, 2018 6:21:39 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 19, 2018 7:05:19 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi,

believe me, that was not improvement, it's very, very, very bad change !

Up and Down are statuses, but Down ended is not status, it's just information.

return it back, please!

Best regards,

Created on Aug 28, 2018 7:21:06 AM

Votes:

I have to agree, I miss having [Up] at the start of the notification email. It was simple, clear, concise.

Now it's a bloated and complicated [Down ended (now: Up)] - of course the Down will end when something goes back Up.

It's following the previous formatting as when something is paused [Down ended (now: Paused)]. I wish it would just say the actual status Paused

Created on Sep 19, 2018 5:43:15 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

We just want to offer more information within the notification so you can see what the status was before the change. Before this improvement you had to lookup the status log in the mail to check what the old status was, now you can see it at the first glance. This also works for other states, such as "Unknown", "Warning", "Unusual", "Partial Down" and "Up". All these states can be selected now to create a Notification Trigger and in order to avoid confusion when the notification says Up ended (now: Down) we have implemented this.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 9:14:40 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow, wow, wow ... guys your intentions was good, but implementation is (epic!) example of fail.

First %status% for me (and I think most of other people which depends on PRTG) means what is current status of my sensor.

Sometimes it is nice to know previous status, but you put as first word something what is sometimes nice to know, and most important information at the end. Also you put several information into simple field which just need to tell you just one information!

So your information is totally unpractical and hard to process for humans and machines. (Think when you have big list of messages, and every begins with word Down !)

It will be much better if you return this field to old and introduce new filed %oldstatus%, or something like that, which will contain previous status, so user can combine it int form which best suites him.

Please don't change concept of existing fields, people relays on that (mail filtering for example!), instead introduce new fields with new forms of information, specially when we are talking about elementary fields like %status%.

If you decide to keep this change, at least please create new field with old form of correct status information!

Best regards,

Created on Sep 19, 2018 10:38:56 AM

Votes:

So, if the "new and improved" status' can't be modified (or even included in the Release Notes explaining the change) - how can I downgrade my version back to get the old status messages again?

Created on Oct 23, 2018 2:18:27 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

You can always find the version your had installed pre-update on the Core Server under:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive\

You can install this on top and you should be back to the old version.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 23, 2018 7:36:13 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

For anyone who has stumbled upon this post and also affected by this new and improved "complicated status", there is now a Feature Request to re-add a "simplified status" to restore the option of having the good old simple Up, Down single word status'.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81708-open-simplified-status-placeholder

Created on Nov 27, 2018 5:13:45 AM

Votes:

Hi, just for record, it's not quite true that this change is "not mentioned" in change log.

If you look at 18.3.43 version history under Notifications section, you will find "Notification Triggers" " You can now use Up and Unknown states with the State Trigger."

This version introduced ability to specify on what state notification trigger is triggered. But under the hood they also change the logic of %status placeholder to show notification instead of sensor status.

Yes you are probably right, users requested this change, but I'm not sure that they also requested change of logic in %status placeholder :-).

But if you stay with this change, you need to update description of %status placeholder under What placeholders can I use with PRTG?

Created on Nov 27, 2018 8:16:24 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

@siers, thanks for linking the feature request. If this gets enough votes, then we can take this change into consideration and may reevaluate it.

@turki, updated the placeholder page, thanks for that. :)

Best regards.

Created on Nov 27, 2018 10:09:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

PRTG Network Monitor 23.2.83.1760 x64

Is it possible to make only two statuses? UP DOWN

Created on May 5, 2023 8:46:01 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.